Simple Ways to Cut Energy Costs
Everyone would like to use less energy, whether you’re concerned about the planet or just trying to shrink the utility bill. Some ways to lower energy costs come with a steep price tag upfront, such as state-of-the-art EnergyStar appliances or a new “cool roof.” You can make a considerable dent in your home energy consumption and put money in your wallet with some smaller, simpler steps to get started.
Here, we’ve rounded up some free and low-cost ways cut energy bills and make green home improvements that really work.
Free, Easy Ways to Lower Energy Bills
Changing habits costs nothing, yet every little bit adds up. Here are some tips to save energy that won’t cost you a dime:
- Turn down your water heater
- Ask your utility for an energy audit
- Keep the freezer full of ice so there’s less air to cool
- Use a drying rack or clothesline for as much of your laundry as possible
- Run the dishwasher overnight if you have off-peak electricity rates
- Turn off all appliances and devices before going to bed
- Plug electronics into smart power strips that prevent energy waste
- Use curtains wisely to let in winter sun or block out summer heat
Simple Home Improvements that Reduce Energy
Smart choices can often pay for themselves in just a few months or years. Many of these adjustments cost as little as a few dollars, but will help you run the heating and air conditioning less and save countless hours of electricity.
Some affordable ways to go green:
- Switch to LED light bulbs, for both indoor and outdoor lighting
- Install motion sensors for outdoor lighting
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat
- Weather-strip doors and seal windows
- Add insulation to the attic and install foam outlet sealers
- Use portable heaters in the winter if you’re only hanging out in one room
- Use dimmer switches for pleasant, energy-saving lighting at night
- Change air filters more often or upgrade to washable air filters
- Replace your oldest, most energy-draining major appliance
- Install ceiling fans and comfortably adjust the thermostat a couple degrees
Reduce Energy with Electrical Upgrades in MD, DC, & VA
Here in the DMV, the master electricians at Jaffe Electric can help you get the most out of an energy-efficient home. We can install LED track lights, add motion-activated security lighting, or even install an electric car charger in your garage.