Pond Wiring In Maryland
Maryland Pond Wiring Services
A pond can be an amazing feature to have for both residences and commercial properties. The tranquility that a pond provides can help to make your back yard an oasis of relaxation. Likewise, a pond can provide a welcoming presence to a commercial property, thereby helping to improve its curb appeal.
However, a pond requires electricity in order to run its pumps, lights, filters and heaters. Obviously, water and electricity don’t mix well, which means that you need to have a ground fault circuit interrupter GFCI outlet installed. This kind of circuit is very sensitive and will automatically shut off if it comes in contact with moisture. Here at Jaffe Electric, we can perform the necessary pond wiring for you, as doing it yourself can be risky – especially since outdoor wiring also requires a conduit to enclose exposed cables.
Pond Wiring for Homes & Businesses in Maryland
The following are the steps required in order to properly and safely perform the wiring for your residential or commercial pond:
- Local codes will need to be checked to see how far the outlets need to be from the water as well as whether the cable needs to be buried – and how deep it needs to be buried.
- The power to the circuit will need to be cut at the breaker before beginning work.
- The location of the water, power and gas lines on the property will need to be determined. This can accomplished by contacting the local utility companies.
- All the devices being added to the circuit will need to be inspected, such as the pump. It will then need to be determined which circuits can handle certain electrical loads.
- The GFCI outlet will go around six feet away from the pond. Again, local electrical codes will need to be checked to see if a permit is needed or if there are any outlet requirements.
- The pump will most likely need to be at least 18 inches deep. If local codes require it to be any deeper, a power trencher will most likely be required.
- All wiring will need to be done properly by someone with experience and know-how – otherwise, important components of the pond will not work properly and could even result in a safety hazard.
- All exposed above ground wiring will need to be enclosed in electrical conduit. Weatherproof housing will be needed to ensure that the pump plug and any other devices are not exposed.
- Pump wires and other device wires don’t have to be buried and can be simply hidden in bushes or under rocks.
Free Estimates for Maryland Pond Wiring Services
As you can see, there’s a lot of work that goes into ensuring that pond wiring is done properly and safely. It’s something that you can only really do on your own if you have previous experience.
Call Jaffe Electric or schedule service online for a free estimate on your pond wiring needs.
If you are in need of residential electrical repair in MD, DC, or VA,
contact us today at 301.253.3778 or fill out a contact form to get started.
When temperatures drop, we tend to rely more heavily on our electrical system and appliances to keep us warm and entertain us through the long...