When to Prepare Your HVAC System for Fall
When the first cool day arrives in Maryland or the DC area, the last thing you want as a homeowner is to turn on your HVAC system and realize that it is not working properly. Not only will this leave your home cold and uncomfortable, but you may have an extended wait for an HVAC service technician, as late fall and early winter are some of the busiest times of the year for their industry. By scheduling HVAC maintenance early, before the busy season, you can avoid the long wait times and catch problems before they cause a breakdown.
When Is the Best Time to Service Your HVAC System?
HVAC companies are the busiest during the peak of the heating and cooling seasons. So, the best time to prepare your HVAC system for the fall and winter would be late summer or early fall. Likewise, late winter or early spring would be the best time to prepare for the cooling season.
By servicing your system early, before the busy season, you can get an appointment more easily and your service technicians can take the time to thoroughly evaluate your system for problems like compressors or fan motors that are on the verge of failure, electrical problems like shorts to ground, or furnace burners that are maladjusted and may produce carbon monoxide.
A complete service visit should include:
- Replacing the air filter
- Testing the thermostat and zoning controls
- Inspecting electrical wires, terminals, and contacts
- Cleaning the condenser and evaporator coils
- Cleaning the air handler, condensate drain, and drip tray
- Checking refrigerant levels, pressures, and temperatures
- Cleaning furnace burners and the flame sensor
- Inspecting the flue and heat exchanger for leaks or damage
- Measuring carbon monoxide and flue gas levels
- Testing blower motors, fans, and compressors for proper voltage and current
- Starting and testing the system in both heating and cooling modes
Most HVAC companies can provide repairs for any problems they find during the maintenance process, often during the same visit.
The Benefits of Proper HVAC Maintenance
By servicing your HVAC system twice a year, just before the heating season and the cooling season, you can:
- Reduce the energy consumption of your HVAC system
- Lower your heating and cooling costs
- Improve HVAC reliability and performance
- Make your home safer and more comfortable
- Increase HVAC service life
- Protect the system’s warranty
A proper HVAC inspection a few times a year is a great way to spot problems early and keep your system as safe, efficient, and reliable as possible.
How Can Jaffe Electric Help With HVAC Maintenance?
At Jaffe Electric, we can help with any electrical issues or service needs you may encounter as your HVAC system is serviced. This can include:
- Faulty HVAC system breakers
- Damaged wiring or terminals
- Improper voltages or overloaded service panels
- Short circuits or shorts to ground
- Electrical troubleshooting and repairs
- New HVAC circuit installations or upgrades
- Electrical service or panel upgrades
Our electricians are licensed and insured, and have nearly 30 years of service in the DC metro area. We are happy to help with all your residential or commercial electrical needs, from outlet and switch replacements to new circuit installations, service panel upgrades, and whole-home rewiring. We offer superior service and workmanship at affordable prices, and we serve customers throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the Washington, DC area.
Call Jaffe Electric today at (301) 253-3778 or contact us online to schedule electrical services in Washington, DC, Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, or the surrounding areas.
Your electrical panel is the main hub for all of your home’s electricity. Anything powered comes back to the main electrical service panel known as...